Monday, January 31, 2011

Half Marathon Reflections - Aramco Half Marathon in Houston, TX

Date of Race: Sunday, January 30, 2011
Total Runners in Chevron Houston Marathon and Aramco Half Marathon: 22,000


This past Sunday I ran my second Half Marathon in Houston, TX. This post is intended to capture some of my memories and thoughts about the race experience. Hope you enjoy!


Pre-Race


I woke up around 4:45 a.m. and got ready for heading down to the hotel lobby. As I was getting ready, I felt excited at the prospect of running 13.1 miles for the second time in my life! Not only that, but I was going to do it in the city where I spent 23 years of my life. 


While waiting for the shuttle I was conversing with a few individuals who were running the full Chevron Marathon. Apparently they had run a few marathons before, in Nashville, and other areas. I was intrigued and inspired. Then came the shuttle, which left at 5:30 and I got to the George R. Brown Convention Center by 6 a.m. 


I grabbed a bottle of water and did some stretching. I spent some time talking to another guy who was from out of state (Chicago, IL).


I then made it outside to the start line and took care of business. At 6:45 the Wheelchair participants started out and I was anticipating the start at 7 a.m.


Start to Mile 1.


As with the Rock and Roll Marathon/Half Marathon this race started slowly as we were a large bunch. Within a few minutes we were off running. The first mile had some incline as we were crossing the I-10 overpass (incline is rare for Houston, which is very flat) I paced myself and did well. 
Time: 9:45/mile


Miles 1 to 3.


This part of the race was great because even though I grew up in Houston I still found myself intrigued by the scenery/neighborhoods around Downtown. Some band was playing and I was focused on the run. This was the first time we got a water/Gatorade station too. The crowds were encouraging despite the light rain that began.
Time: 9:08/mile


Miles 3 to 5


I reached the 5k (3.1 mile) marker and marveled (as I had done earlier in the Rock and Roll 1/2) at how far I've come. 2 years ago I could barely run a mile and now I was flying through the 5k marker! We passed under I-45 and continued through the Heights neighborhood. The residents/spectators in that area were VERY supportive! I kept pushing through at a higher pace than I was used to.
Time: 9:03/mile


Miles 5 to 7


My goal was to reach the 10k marker (6.2 miles) in around 1 hour, which I accomplished. It started raining a little more and this was tough but I kept pushing myself. I passed under I-10 and reached Mile 7.
Time: 9:05/mile


Miles 7 to 9


This was my favorite part of the entire race, as we passed through the Montrose area. It was also where the majority of spectators were situated. From high-fives to cheers, you name it, it was present! As us Half Marathoners approached Montrose at Richmond we had to part ways with the braver Marathoners who were off to continue 17 miles. The rain was increasing at this point and I was getting a bit annoyed but kept pushing through. The crowds really provided inspiration!!!
Time: 9:08/mile


Miles 9-11


After the turnaround I continued till the 15k marker (10.2 miles) From that point on we were on Allen Parkway. Allen Parkway is an amazing place to run because it is quite scenic! I started drawing on internal inspiration to keep going faster!
Time: 9:05/mile


Miles 11-13


I kept going and crossed I-45 one last time as I saw the 20k marker in sight. Once I saw that I knew only 1k was left so I kept on going. I was proud of myself for not stopping for even a minute. I saw others stopping and provided some encouragement!
Time: 9:07/mile


Mile 13 to finish line


This was the moment of truth, to find out if I could look pretty while finishing the race! Lots of spectators were on hand to witness the finish and I sped up to the point of 8 minutes/mile. I finished the race at 2:03:30 (unofficial) which was better than my Rock and Roll Half (2:15:30). I was super happy and went to go take my picture!


Final Thoughts


The race was decently organized for it's size and provided some great opportunities to meet other individuals who share the same passion for running as I did. I especially liked the posters individual spectators had created. The support was awesome and if it weren't for the rain I'm sure more people would have come out.

Running the 2nd 1/2 marathon has provided me validation that with a little more work I can conquer the ever prized Marathon distance of 26 miles, 385 yards.



And know this, if you're reading and thinking there's no way you can run just know that I was in your shoes once and went from running 0 miles 2 years ago to 2 1/2 Marathons (13.1 miles)!!! Anything is possible that you put your mind and heart to!


I hope you enjoyed reading my post! Let me know if you have questions and thanks!


- Asif



2 comments:

  1. You did awesome! Congrats. I for one, am very proud of you :) You have made an amazing transformation, both physically and as a person since I saw u this summer.KUTGW!

    ReplyDelete